Monday 10 December 2012

12 Days of Christmas - Day 10

 Today's project: a Soft toy owl! I found this tutorial online which is only for personal use but I thought I would share the link with you. This would make a lovely a gift for adults and children. You could fill it with rice to make a heated owl or lavender for a yummy scent.
 I printed out the template provided on the link and then cut out my Spice Cake fabric.
 The first sewing job was to join the tummy to the rest of the body. Each side of the belly was sewn on and then the gap at the top was sewn up.
 Turned out the right way it looked like a rather unpromising pyramid!
 The beak was folded down and I embroidered with orange floss to secure the bright beak.
 I filled the inside using an old (clean) fleece dressing gown. It's great to reuse things and stuffing is pretty pricey in my opinion.
 It was then possible to sew up the bottom. I ran a running stitch all the way around and then gathered the cotton to pull everything central.
 Lastly was the base. This had been cut from fabric but needed a card insert. I punched a piece of Soft Suede cardstock (to match the fabric) with the 1 3/4" circle punch.
 This was glued together using the self-adhesive sheets. I stuck the glue to the fabric so that it was really easy to fold up the excess onto the top.
 This was hand sewn on to give a solid base for the little owl to sit on and hide the gathered bottom.
 Finally some button eyes were added (from the Neutrals button collection). Voila! A simple and quick soft toy. You could always make the eyes from felt if you wanted to make the toy for a young child under three.
It took less than an hour to make this little owl, including gathering and setting up materials and my sewing machine. Lovely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving comments - reading them really does make my day!